Welcome to the EquiChat forum for horse lovers. New members are welcome, please register to start using the forum and create advertisments.

Please read the Forum FAQ's to see the rules and regs before posting.

EquiChat Forum: Let's talk horses!
Bringing Ready back into work
Last Post 27 Jul 2013 06:59 p.m. by michellopuff. 2 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
First Ridden
First Ridden

--
26 Jul 2013 03:43 p.m.
    Hello everybody!

I've booked some time off work and if this beautiful weather lasts I'm hoping to bring Ready back into work now that he's got his herbal tonic and had the osteopath visit and is no longer lame. I know exercise is helping with all the inhand walking and noting how stiff he becomes when he's been standing for too long so I'm very excited to get back in the saddle (and nervous).

I'm hoping you guys with your wealth of knowledge could suggest a good starting point?

We have a few acres mostly flat paddocks to ride around but the ground is understandably still soft and in some spots quite slippery e.g gateways. The nearby forestry and neighbours farm is still closed off due to the weather which would have been perfect but time will fly!

I also don't have a float. Lol so commuting is a tad difficult, plus it's a main MAIN road with limited verges and windy corners and stupid drivers so that isn't really an option either.

Because I'll be limited to paddocks I tend to lack direction and everything is a bit unorganised so we both end up bored.

Can someone suggest a good, structured routine for us? we've both been out of work for a couple of months now aside from inhand walks and me thankfully having a relatively active work place. I'm only asking as Ready has suspected ringbone and minor muscular problems from over compensating for his stiffness so I'm wondering if anyone has any tips for this too, such as a warm up routine and cool down routine?
    Open
    Open

--
    26 Jul 2013 10:23 p.m.
    Give him a really brisk brushing before you saddle up, to get the blood flowing freely under his skin, then do as much free walk as you think you need, and increase pace and complexity slowly. Plan out your patterns in your head as you are preparing to ride then ride a set pattern using any combination of moves you feel he is up to. Just try to improve a little each day. Put a few markers out to act as focus points. Milk bottles with enough water in them to anchor them in place work well enough
    First Ridden
    First Ridden

--
    27 Jul 2013 06:59 p.m.
    Thankyou Dusty!!!
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Copyright 2011-2014