Welcome to the EquiChat forum for horse lovers. New members are welcome, please register to start using the forum and create advertisments.

Please read the Forum FAQ's to see the rules and regs before posting.

EquiChat Forum: Let's talk horses!
Devils Claw or Glucosamin/Chondroiten
Last Post 10 Nov 2013 05:50 p.m. by josien. 10 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
First Ridden
First Ridden

--
04 Nov 2013 03:37 p.m.
    I am just getting my horse back into work after most of the winter off and I think I might have pushed the old fella a bit hard on the weekend. I feel so mean but we were having such a good time and he had been ridden before this, just not on a hill and not cantering. I trotted and cantered up a not steep but quite long hill on Saturday. On Sunday was a very cruisy ride just at a walk. When I went to feed him this morning he was having a full lay down. When he got up he was really stiff and sore. Hopefully it was just stiff after getting up from a sleep. I will give him a massage when I get home from work. I have the Masterson book so will give him the full monty. If he is still sore in a couple of days I may get some bute.

He is 18 and had a pretty full on younger life as a team roping horse. He has mild string halt. He lives a fairly quiet life with me now just wandering around with the odd trek thrown in. I would like to give him a supplement to help his joints and muscles.

I am not sure which way to go - Devils Claw or something with the same properties or Glucosamin/Chondroiten?

Any opinions/suggestions/recommendations welcome.
    To make a small fortune out of horses start with a large one
    Open
    Open

--
    04 Nov 2013 03:44 p.m.
    Grand Meadows do one that has all three in plus some other stuff, designed for older horses:

http://shop.grandmeadows.com/index....er=product
    "The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be judged by the way it's animals are treated" - Mohandas Gandhi
    Open
    Open

--
    04 Nov 2013 04:46 p.m.
    Devils claw is great for sore bits. Glucosamine and/or a joint formula would be good for long term preventive maintenance. I often use devils claw, I used some today after dove had a big massage after her float debacle last week. But we use tuffrok EJF daily. She is 17.

I think its good to keep the older horses in some light work even during a holiday period.
    Open
    Open

--
    04 Nov 2013 05:21 p.m.
    Glucosamine works for some but not others. I used devils claw on needed days with better results.

I would play and see what happens.
    Open
    Open

--
    04 Nov 2013 06:05 p.m.
    I had Bert on Glucosamin and MSM for a while but really didn't notice any difference. Now he's on a daily dose of NE Bute Free (which is devils claw plus some other goodies) and Four Flax oil, for the extra calories as much as its joint support.
    Seems to keep him comfortable, where as without these I notice a definite stiffness in his gait.

Life is what happens to you while your busy making other plans.
    -John Lennon
    Novice
    Novice

--
    05 Nov 2013 08:43 a.m.
    Personally I don't think Glucosamine has much benefit - I've been on it myself and fed to horses. I've heard better things about MSM but not really used it much.
    For myself I find fish oil beneficial and I feed Flax Seed Oil (Four Flax) to my mare with good results.
    The latest seems to be collagen and hyaluronic acid based products and I am finding the Syncroflex range really good, but I'm only using as joint support, not to actually fix a problem.
    Devil's Claw definitely has similar affects to Bute, which is why it's also a banned substance for competition.
    "My treasures do not clink together or glitter; They gleam in the sun and neigh in the night."
    -Arabian Proverb
    Open
    Open

--
    05 Nov 2013 08:46 a.m.
    I agree glucosamine has done nothing for me either ... even two a day ... i had roll on MSM and that was useless as well and you can't ask the horse. Devils Claw definitely works and it can be used long term with only an 8 hour withholding period for competition.
    WendyUser is Online
    Open
    Open

--
    05 Nov 2013 10:45 a.m.
    I used glucosamine for nearly a year during an acute attack of arthritis in my hands. The pain would disappear, and I'd stop taking it, and the pain would come back.
    In the end, my hands stopped swelling, and I used up the last of the bottle and now I am left with weak thumb strength. No pain for several years. (Except when rain is coming, lol)
    So, for me it worked, and a friend who used to get a very sore lower back when riding, has gradually been pain free since taking it. I think it obviously works for some people, but it's not a quick fix.
    So if you were giving it to a horse, it'd be a lifetime supplement.

Allah's blessing . . . I have created thee Arab. Success and happiness are bound to thy forelock; bounty reposes on your back and riches are with you where ever you may be. And I have endowed you to fly without wings . . . . ..
    Novice
    Novice

--
    05 Nov 2013 11:15 a.m.
    Glucosamine just plumps up the cartilage that's left - so yes it does work if thin cartilage is the problem. It works very very well actually, I got a good 2 years out of Glucosamine with my aging dog before I had to resort to the pain killer top ups when she did more than usual. You can get slightly more effect if you add in MSM and Chondroitin but most of the benefit comes from Glucosamine. (there's lots of arguments as to which form of glucosamine (Sulphate or HCl) is better but I don't think it makes difference personally.

But it doesn't cure arthritis. Very little can.

4Cyte has an ingredient called Epitalis that is a pine seed extract that has been shown in vitro to induce cartilage cells to multiply (which is a bit of a coup). In feild trials it's been shown to have as good or better pain relief qualities against NSAID painkillers, and while NSAIDS plateau, 4Cyte just keeps getting better.

It's vet only and hideously expensive but seriously worth it.

That's if the problem is his joints - if it's muscle related there's not much you can do other than mild pain relief like Devils Claw or willow, and keeping the excercise regular and within his limits.
    Open
    Open

--
    05 Nov 2013 12:48 p.m.
    A field trial on humans, showed that Chondroiten, actually inhibited the affect of Glucosamin in some patients. These same people did much better on just Glucosamin.
    Lead Rein
    Lead Rein

--
    10 Nov 2013 05:50 p.m.
    Saw this a bit late, but next time if you overdo it a bit give him Arnica C30.
    When I am on a full day trek I give it to my horse during lunch break and after the trek. I put the drops on a piece of bread and give him that way.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Copyright 2011-2014