Welcome to the EquiChat forum for horse lovers. New members are welcome, please register to start using the forum and create advertisments.

Please read the Forum FAQ's to see the rules and regs before posting.

EquiChat Forum: Let's talk horses!
Farrier Feud
Last Post 15 Dec 2013 07:38 p.m. by MrT. 24 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 2 of 2 << < 12
Author Messages
Open
Open

--
13 Dec 2013 02:02 p.m.
A gelding I had years ago, used to either go to sleep, and lean until he got a dig in the ribs, or steal tools out of his bag and hand them to him. The trouble was he seldom got the right tool. I'm sure he thought he was being helpful.
Open
Open

--
15 Dec 2013 06:33 a.m.
I haven't heard of any farriers/trimmers here feuding however the locals get all wild on FB.

The guy that does my horses is good and I've only had good experiences (except that he can be exceptionally late however I have worked that out now and if I want him there say at 2pm then I book him for 1pm ) however some people really really bag him.

And the farrier (well his apprentice) that I didn't have the greatest experience with is loved by others.

It can make it hard to decide to use someone if you go on those comments only. The reason I changed to the current trimmer was due to a recommendation from someone in the old horse talk days.
A stubborn horse walks behind you, an impatient horse walks in front of you, but a noble companion walks beside you
Open
Open

--
15 Dec 2013 09:32 a.m.
I had the same farrier for years and years, and he was fab. Lots of goss but never negative stuff, just telling me what everyone round the district was up to this season lol.
Then had a couple for just a year or two each, the first of which wasn't so professional with what he'd tell me about the neighbours. I used to wonder what he was telling other people about me! The next was a nice guy and not into gossip at all (slightly disappointing :-p )
Now I have a bf trimmer who's a similar age to me and we just gasbag about everything for the couple of hours it takes her to trim lol.

I've not noticed client's/farriers slagging off competing farriers down here. It can be hard to know who to ask to do the job, I guess word of mouth from someone you trust is the best place to start though.
Life is what happens to you while your busy making other plans.
-John Lennon
Championship
Championship

--
15 Dec 2013 11:21 a.m.
I have had the same farrier for years, he is always prompt, his rate has stayed the same all those years so I gave him a rate increase 6 months ago, and he never gossips. His books are closed so Kody snuck in because I was already using him, one of my neighbours takes her problem horse to him at a friends place to get her done because she can't get on the books... sneaky having said that that is how Comet got his hooves done.

A good reliable Farrier is gold. Having said that until a recent backbiting session on a local website I had never heard anything bad about any of our local ones. Maybe I just hang out in nice circles (Present company included).
"The wind of heaven is that which blows between a horse's ears" - Arabian Proverb.
First Ridden
First Ridden

--
15 Dec 2013 07:38 p.m.
The farriers I had in the years before 'I saw the light' were all quite professional, on time and not a lot of gossip, apart from the first one - opinionated and gossiped way too much and his job was crap, we lost shoes all the time (had 3 horses shod at the time) and he always had a reason, but then he was also the cheapest... The last one had closed books and you had to keep to 6 weekly schedule, his wife rang the appointment through and you better be there, he was never ever late. Wished me well when I said that I was going to try 'bare'. He also offered his own yard for recovery when my horse had a nasty abscess.
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 2 of 2 << < 12

Copyright 2011-2014