Welcome to the EquiChat forum for horse lovers. New members are welcome, please register to start using the forum and create advertisments.

Please read the Forum FAQ's to see the rules and regs before posting.

EquiChat Forum: Let's talk horses!
Is it still barefoot if there are nails involved
Last Post 24 Jan 2014 02:55 p.m. by Dusty. 12 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Open
Open

--
10 Jan 2014 07:24 p.m.
    with a horse between your knees, mane in your fingers, and pricked ears framing the world...
    Open
    Open

--
    10 Jan 2014 07:36 p.m.
    IMO how can it be barefoot if anything is attached to the hoof permanently? nails or glue.

With hoof boots you can take them off and then the horse is BF, but its not BF with the hoof boots, but hoof boots could be considered part of a BF approach.

This technology replaces steel shoes ... admirable in itself, but is not BF.

my thoughts
    Open
    Open

--
    10 Jan 2014 08:55 p.m.
    There is no money in selling "barefoot" - obviously there is nothing to sell. Ezi are in the business of selling stuff; boots, stirrups and why not shoes?

I'm sure they wouldn't have bothered if they didn't think there was a market for it and who knows, for some it may be a step in the process of getting to BF.

I still don't see the use of boots as BF - as a tool to get there, absolutely. But if you are riding booted then to me, you are not riding BF. JMO.
    It's not that my glass is half full or half empty, it's just that it's twice as big as it needs to be.
    Open
    Open

--
    10 Jan 2014 09:16 p.m.
    I'd be happy to get rid of nails.
    Open
    Open

--
    11 Jan 2014 07:17 a.m.
    I agree - definitely not barefoot to have a synthetic shoe permanently attached.

If I was to use those shoes I would only glue them on, not nail. I wouldn't glue most of the other types of synthetic shoes though as they don't allow for heel expansion like these ones do.

I would call a horse who uses boots for riding as a barefoot horse if it is maintained and looked after as a barefoot horse. Usually boots are just an interim help for those who haven't yet developed good feet, but they can also be used for people who only travel over really rough going or for the likes of the police horses who spend all day on concrete and also need protection from glass etc.
    "The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be judged by the way it's animals are treated" - Mohandas Gandhi
    Open
    Open

--
    22 Jan 2014 08:57 a.m.
    KG, I pretty much see it as you stated. I rarely ride off grass, so my horses have never really been hardened to rock crusher level. If I was going where I had doubts about the footing, (Possible gravel roads with no escape) I would use boots for the ride, or at least have them on hand. That is still Barefoot imo, any form of glue or nail on device isn't, but it could be a step in that direction.
    Open
    Open

--
    22 Jan 2014 09:33 a.m.
    Wearing boots isn't barefoot. Are you barefoot if you wear jandals?

And if you come across some gravel, slow down, let the horse pick its way carefully across. Every little bit of stony surface helps. It's only natural that he'll be a bit ouchy.
    'Rock crushing' isn't often needed, lol and even my two who are pretty good on stones slow down
    Allah's blessing . . . I have created thee Arab. Success and happiness are bound to thy forelock; bounty reposes on your back and riches are with you where ever you may be. And I have endowed you to fly without wings . . . . ..
    Open
    Open

--
    22 Jan 2014 01:09 p.m.
    Agreed Wendy, but I am referring to things like Day Treks where it is "all horses must be shod" type going.
    My boy is now happily trundling up and down the driveway now, and he has only had his front shoes off since I got him. I can't walk on it in bare feet these days, so I would say he is doing pretty well. You won't alter the barefoot regime by using boot occasionally, is what I was trying to say. Anything stuck on (by whatever means) for extended periods must do so, surely.
    Open
    Open

--
    22 Jan 2014 05:34 p.m.
    Very interesting chat. If I can just redirect slightly. I actually meant was it still barefoot 'functionally' not 'philisophically' (sp). If the idea of barefoot is to expose the hoof to normal elements and normal expansion and contraction can this happen with nails and a synthetic shoe? Is the damage done but having something restrictive on the hoof or are the nails themselves damaging. Obviously this approach does come back to the same old 'lost shoe' issue but I think its an interesting approach.
    with a horse between your knees, mane in your fingers, and pricked ears framing the world...
    Open
    Open

--
    22 Jan 2014 08:34 p.m.
    This is sort of what I was getting at in a rather confusing way. I think it does functionally affect the hoof. Every horse that I have ridden in shoes (or strapped on Boots) has felt clumsy and less sure of it's footing, than when barefoot. The booted horse feels "normal" again as soon as I take the boots off. The shod horse (even when they were only on three weeks) seemed to take nearly a week of regular work to get back to what I felt as normal.
    Does this clarify what I am trying to say.
    Open
    Open

--
    23 Jan 2014 10:32 a.m.
    I don't think that the nails themselves are damaging.

It's the rigidity of the shoe that prevents the hoof from spreading on impact that causes problems. It's common for horses to have an increased hoof diameter, and wider frogs and heels once they have had a few months barefoot. The hoof will also grow more quickly with work - tarseal is a nice 'natural' trimmer - which is why barefoot people often have to touch up the hooves every couple of weeks.

And I agree with Dusty, my horses just love being barefoot. The difference is particularly noticeable if they have had shoes on for some reason, which is only ever for a short period on the front.

As for synthetic shoes, they seem to be evolving all the time as people ask for shoes with 'give'. And easier to apply too, so that you don't need a video and degree to do the job.
    Allah's blessing . . . I have created thee Arab. Success and happiness are bound to thy forelock; bounty reposes on your back and riches are with you where ever you may be. And I have endowed you to fly without wings . . . . ..
    Open
    Open

--
    23 Jan 2014 10:36 a.m.
    As for the 'All Horses Must Be Shod' treks - I ignore that. I think that the organisers only add that to the flyers so they can't be held responsible if your horse goes lame.
    And most treks are over very safe tracks with minimal rocks anyway.
    Open
    Open

--
    24 Jan 2014 02:55 p.m.
    These are mostly School fundraiser, one day jobs, and they will turn away horses not suitably "attired" Some of the ones around here can be over fairly sharp stones (I wouldn't call it gravel) I just carry my boots, until I see what I'm up for. It satisfied the organizers that I had my horse's welfare in mind. PD hated boots, and I never needed to put them on her. It may have proved entertaining.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Copyright 2011-2014