Welcome to the EquiChat forum for horse lovers. New members are welcome, please register to start using the forum and create advertisments.

Please read the Forum FAQ's to see the rules and regs before posting.

EquiChat Forum: Let's talk horses!
Keeping Spanish horses the right weight
Last Post 18 Jan 2014 09:40 a.m. by GG Rider. 29 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 2 of 2 << < 12
Author Messages
Open
Open

--
16 Jan 2014 05:25 p.m.
Popcorn, that looks like horsekeepers Heaven.
My Appy, had Metabolic problems and had to be severely restricted on grass. She had unlimited 2nd yr hay and her suppliments (my own mix) in Oat chaff. Damped with water flavoured with cinnamon. After 18 months of this, you would never know she had foundered.
Now I have a younger TB and he seems to self limit his food intake, atm anyway.
First Ridden
First Ridden

--
16 Jan 2014 05:27 p.m.
I love it
Between the wish and the thing, life lies waiting.
First Ridden
First Ridden

--
16 Jan 2014 05:34 p.m.

I even have rocks!

http://vimeo.com/84278660
Between the wish and the thing, life lies waiting.
First Ridden
First Ridden

--
16 Jan 2014 06:37 p.m.
Grazezy has magnesium and a seaweed toxin binder. Deals with the potassium in the grass instead of only the toxins like mycosorb does.
So many things that I want to say, that I shouldn't really say, that I just say anyway.
Open
Open

--
17 Jan 2014 04:45 p.m.
Who puts Grazezy out GG Rider ? It sounds like a good bet for me. Potassium levels are a real problem for me here, whenever the grass is growing. With the current growth, I'm quite glad the boy is still away. He is on better horse pasture where he is.
Open
Open

--
17 Jan 2014 04:52 p.m.
I'm not surprised your ponies got a bit porky again popcorn - there was a lot of grass on that track for them to work their way through!

My little buckskin ratbag may need to come and play fat camp at yours. She has stopped growing up and has started growing out!
"The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be judged by the way it's animals are treated" - Mohandas Gandhi
First Ridden
First Ridden

--
17 Jan 2014 06:00 p.m.
ProvideIt does grazezy. My mums actually a sales rep for ProvideIt I should disclose, but only since we have been long term supporters of the products. She only really deals with stores though.
It's interesting as our horses get to be test dummies for the new products, we stopped using the tox-defy (mycosorb) a while ago as I found it pretty ineffective due to our problem being more potassium related. Tried the whole dirt track thing, which is a nightmare in auckland area as all you get is mud and not to mention hay is so expensive. So we were one of the first to get onto grazezy and I have to say I am happy that I do not fear when it rains and the little green shoots come up.
Now I have sorted the young horse getting too fat, I just have to figure out better ways of keeping weight on my mums horse. Trialing soaked flax seeds, and we are going to try a new mineral mix with amino acids to see if that does well.
So many things that I want to say, that I shouldn't really say, that I just say anyway.
Championship
Championship

--
18 Jan 2014 07:57 a.m.
GGrider, have you tried Tuffrock C+ for your mum's horse?
All I pay my psychiatrist is the cost of feed and hay, and he'll listen to me any day. ~Author Unknown
Open
Open

--
18 Jan 2014 09:35 a.m.
We have an interesting dilemma, (well it's only a dilemma if we let it be), we have a lovely pasture of all the grasses that are good for horses such as browntop etc and have deliberately gone for low fertility and what has happened is we are gradually eliminating the ryegrass and clover but have had to start spraying out weeds.

I think we still have way too much rye but we are getting there.

We then make hay from this low fertility stuff and feed on a dirt track with added minerals to balance.(We make our own mix that seems to approximate the provideit minerals but must have a chat to jenny at some time about this).

The dilemma you ask...well we are getting lot's of well meaning advice from local farmers and contractors on how to improve our pastures and get rid of those useless grasses!

I have had to say people have been very nice and seem to take it on board when we explain what we are doing....I just seriously think they don't like driving past and seeing our pastures and feel they need to give us advice to "improve" it.

They are absolutely right if we are in the business of raising sheep and cattle but we are not...the sheep are simply used to keep the grass under control and while they don't gain weight as on a commercial farm we never have skinny stock!

Keeping horses is very different from raising commercial animals but I like the interesting paddocks with different species...as long as weeds don't dominate i don't have a problem.

At the moment the track seems to working well for us in keeping weight under control but will be interesting to see how the winter and mud pans out will be interesting!!
Everything will be alright in the end..and if it's not alright then it's not yet the end...
First Ridden
First Ridden

--
18 Jan 2014 09:40 a.m.
I think we did look into it, I cant remember what we had against it exactly but I think it was a mix of price of the ingredients that we didn't agree with.
When we got him we went through a lot of products, and I have discovered the richer the grass, the more he looses weight. At least he is only onto 1-2 cups of extruded rice atm, last year he was on rice and rolled barley, I think we weighed it to be 500gs of both. For an 18 year old that has had a bit of a hard life he looks like he is 5 now.
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 2 of 2 << < 12

Copyright 2011-2014